Childhood Experience


I come from a long line of animal lovers. Ever since I can remember, my father has been telling fantastic stories about pets that he has had. He and his six brothers have had more pets than Wild Kingdom. From guinea pigs to tarantulas, they've had them all. Although we as a family enjoy pets of all types, there is one standout that every true Rich admires. It is the dog. Not a week goes by without Dad telling a miraculous story of how his dog Duke took on three others, or of how Baron swam a half mile out into the Boston Harbor after him while he was fishing. I can hear him and my uncles now, "Duke would have torn Chan to shreds", or "Lucky was the best hunting dog ever, I don't care what you say." They actually argue over which poem is better, "Rags" or "Bum", both of which are required literature in my family. Certain uncles prefer certain breeds of dogs, but for the most part, any old breed will do. I am no exception to this rule.
When I turned eleven (up to this time I had seen at least six family dogs come and go), I received the greatest gift an eleven year old boy could wish for. Yes, a puppy, but not just any puppy. This was my own personal dog. He was a jet black mutt, the son of my family's Labrador Retriever, and he was as handsome as any pedigree show dog. His huge paws represented power and future size. So, branded with this stature, I gave him the only name that truly fit: Geronimo.


Geronimo and I were inseparable. I fed him, took care of him, house-trained him, and played with him. He also kept up his end of the bargain and was nothing but faithful and loyal to me. Every morning, rain or shine, he was right by my side accompanying me on my paper route. Some customers would actually leave tips for me and a dog biscuit for him. For a young guy he was very brave, and when older friends would play around and wrestle with me, he'd show his teeth and growl-- although he knew enough not to bite anyone. His one fear was of cars and he liked to hide under my legs whenever a noisy one passed by.
One spring day I stayed home from school because I was sick, and let Geronimo out by himself. This wasn't uncommon; he had been going out on his own and palling around with my family's dog ever since I had gotten him. But this day was different. I sat on the couch watching a t.v. show when there was a knock at the door. It was one of the neighbor's children. He was very young and didn't know any better when he told me that Geronimo was hit by a car and was asleep in the middle of the street. A cold chill went down my spine as I looked into the street at the ball of fur who lay there coldly with his eyes open and his back broken.
I think I was in shock because I didn't say anything. An older friend happened to walk by and saw what happened. I'm not sure what I would have done if he hadn't arrived. We wrapped Geronimo in a blanket and carried him into my yard. Amazingly, when my friend left I just went back into the house and continued watching my t.v. show as if nothing had happened. I was confused and angry with myself for being so cold-hearted but I didn't know what else to do.
Then, about two hours later, with some sort of strange coincidence my parents both arrived home at the same time from work. Suddenly, as I began to tell them the story, it hit me all at once. I couldn't even finish the story I was so choked up, and finally I just dragged them outside to see the dog. My mother kept saying, "It'll be alright, you can get another one soon." But I wouldn't hear of it. At the time I didn't ever want to see another dog again, never mind own one. By the time I regained my composure, my father and brother had already begun burying Geronimo. So I said a prayer and a goodbye to my best friend.
That whole day everyone in my house was quiet and to themselves. And I've come to realize that they weren't grieving for the dog as much as they were for me. Knowing that I was sad made them sad too. I had never seen that side of my father before, or my brother for that matter. My father always says to this day that I should be careful because if I were to die in an accident, I wouldn't suffer as much as the people who are left behind. As I think about Geronimo, I can understand what he means.
I think the reason that I didn't cry the minute I found him lying there is because I was too young and wasn't independent enough to handle it on my own. As soon as my parents arrived I had a feeling of comfort and safety and couldn't hold up the facade any longer. Geronimo lived a short life but left a big impression on me. I wasn't old enough to handle death on my own, but that six month old mutt was sure old enough to teach a young boy about the facts of life and death.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a family you guys had more dogs than the shelter, I remember getting bit in the butt by your Grandmother's dog when you lived in E.B. This was a story that brought back some memories. Love you all, Auntie Paula

Anonymous said...

I can't tell you how many times that I saw this essay in Dennis' work desk. What's funny is I never even read it until recently. I'm starting to wonder if there was a reason I didn't read it until Dennis was gone. It makes me incredibly sad and gives me chills that as a young boy his take on life and death amazes me. I'm not sure I believe in signs or just want something to believe in at this difficult time. Last week when my sister Jane and me found this essay again while we were cleaning out Dennis' desk. As I have said things have been getting harder by the day with the reality of Dennis gone and that particular day when I finally read this story. I was really having a very hard day and I have to wonder if it was a sign that for some reason I was supposed to read Dennis' story about his dog and his feelings about life and death. To me when he says in the story how his father says you better hope nothing happens to you ,like die in an accident because we will all be in more pain then you will be. It's almost like Dennis wants us to know that it's okay to feel sad and that we all need each other like he did that day that his dog died to help him get through his pain. I'm going to take this as a sign to me from Dennis and continue to lean on my family and friends to help me and also to help them get through the loss of Dennis. That day I was so sad and was trying to deal with my sadness on my own and something from up above like Dennis must have been watching and sent me this sign. It makes me feel better to believe that Dennis sent me a sign even if it wasn't anything at all. I love you and miss you so much Dennis, Jodi oxox

Anonymous said...

Jodi,

I believe it is truly a sign from Dennis. He is watching and guiding you every second of the day. It is like the saying Footprints in the Sand. When you thought you were alone or saw only one set of footprints it is then that God/Dennis is carrying you. Some people don't believe in it and that is okay but I have had many signs from my loved who have passed when I needed to deal with their deaths the most. So please do know that Dennis is with you every minute of the day watching you and being so proud at what an amazing woman he married and how you are carrying on what he taught you and what you had together as a family. I also believe there are no coincidences. Things happen for a reason when you need the help the most to deal with this tradegy. What are the chances that you read this story when you needed it the most. Please believe that you are never alone Dennis will guide you and your beautiful daughters from now to eternity. The love you had for each other could never be broken even in the death. It is also like the picture Ghost with Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze at the end when Patrick is illuminated with with that special light and he tells Demi you know what the love you feel inside you take it with you or something to that effect.

GOD BLESS YOU AND KNOW DENNIS IS SHINING DOWN ON YOU AND WILL BE WITH YOU ALWAYS.

Anonymous said...

After just reading these two short stories that Dennis wrote, first about his senior year in high school and the heartache he felt at the thought of not being able to play that last football game and then about his dog Geronimo, brought me to tears. I can't believe how beautifully he was able to write and make me feel as if I were there and experiencing each heartbreaking event with him. Among all of his many talents, he also could have been a writer of short stories. They were both so well written. Thank you Jodie for sharing those stories with us. Love, Auntie Theresa